The Best Way To Protect Your Columbia Home From Termites
March 15, 2023
Termites are nuisance pests that can cause costly repairs to your Columbia home. Although there are different kinds of termites that can be found in Columbia, they all cause similar amounts of property damage. Unfortunately, they are hard to detect and even harder to get rid of without expert help. When termites strike and threaten the structural integrity of your home, pick up the phone and call Redefined Pest Solutions for the best pest control in Columbia.
How To Spot Signs Of Termite Damage
Termites, often known as "silent destroyers," can be hard to detect because the damage that they cause can often be mistakenly attributed to water damage or other root causes of concern. Signs of termites often go unnoticed by inexperienced homeowners. You'll want to make sure that you can spot signs of termite damage, however, because those costs are usually not covered by homeowners insurance policies.
Here are a few key signs of termite damage:
- Discarded wings or "swarmers": Swarmers, also known as reproductives, are winged termites that leave their nests to start new colonies and mate. The presence of termite swarmers or their discarded wings near doors or windowsills is a clear sign of a termite problem.
- Frass, or termite droppings: Spotting piles of pellets or wood-colored droppings, known as frass or termite droppings, can also point to a termite problem.
- Mud tubes along the walls or foundation of your home: Mud tubes are used by some termites to protect them from the outside world. These tubes provide moisture to the pests while they travel between their colony and a food source. These are clear signs of termite damage in or around your home.
- Clear damage to wood: Blistering pieces of wood or wood that sounds hollow is usually the result of termite damage. Termites eat wood from the inside out, which is why hollow or blistered wood is almost always the result of termite presence.
- Paint that appears uneven/bubbling: Whenever you see bubbling or uneven paint, it is typically due to a build-up of moisture. Although water damage can be responsible for this, termites are just as likely to be responsible for this damage.
You'll want to consider contacting a local termite company if you believe there are signs of termite damage in your home, before the damage escalates any further.
Factors That Attract Termites To Your Home
Before considering termite removal, you'll want to identify the factors that are attracting termites to your home in the first place. After all, with these factors present on your property, termites will likely continue to return to your home even after you've spent time and money removing them from your property.
Some factors that attract termites to your home include:
- Rotten piles of wood
- Excessive moisture and water damage
- Improper drainage
- Piles of firewood near or inside your home
Addressing these factors can help stop termites from being attracted to your Columbia home.
Handy Tips To Prevent Termites Around Your Property
Now that you've identified the different factors that attract termites to houses, you'll want to take the next step: termite prevention. Here are a few tips that you can use to prevent termites around your property:
- Ensure a minimum distance of 18 inches between soil and any wood.
- Eliminate excessive sources of moisture.
- Reduce any food sources like wood, paper, or cardboard.
- Ensure that there are no cracks or holes in your home's foundation.
Although hiring a professional pest control company is the best way to prevent termites, implementing these tips can help spare your home in the meantime.
The Best Way To Protect Your Home From Termites
For the best termite pest control in Columbia, give our team a call today! Here at Redefined Pest Solutions, we pride ourselves in always carrying ourselves with integrity, clear communication, and going above and beyond for our beloved customers. Call us today for your free inspection!